Aug 28

Welcome to Kentucky Classifieds!

Kentucky Classifieds is a classified ad site to promote businesses in and around the Lexington area, including Wilmore and Nicholasville. Classified ads are a great way to promote a home business, products and services of a traditional business, anything for sale, domains, hosting, etc. Get Google recognition with your Kentucky classified ad on the internet, simply by posting your ad.








Apr 23

Man Indicted In Diva’s Shooting Death

Man Indicted In Diva's Shooting Death

A man charged with shooting another man to death outside a Lexington strip club last year has been indicted for murder.

Tevin Wright was also indicted for tampering with physical evidence in the shooting death of Curtis Simmons in November 2013 outside Diva’s Gentlemen’s Club on Russell Cave Road.

Wright was charged in the case on Dec. 2, while he was at a jail in Muncie, Ind., where he had been arrested on unrelated charges.

Police say an argument started inside the club on Nov. 13 and spilled to the parking lot of the business, where the victim was shot. Curtis was found  outside around 2:49 a.m. suffering from multiple gunshot wounds. He was transported to UK Medical Center where he was pronounced dead.

Police said Wright and four other men were involved in the argument. They say they ran off in a vehicle, that was later found just blocks away from the crime scene.

 

 


Brought to you by Web Hosting

.

Apr 23

Noon Weather Update, April 23

Noon Weather Update, April 23

We’re heading for nothing but sunshine Wednesday afternoon! Expect mostly sunny skies and cool afternoon highs in the low to mid 60s.

 


Brought to you by Web Hosting

.

Apr 23

Poythress To Return For Junior Season

Poythress To Return For Junior Season

LEXINGTON, Ky. – Sophomore forward Alex Poythress will return to the Kentucky men’s basketball program for the 2014-15 season, he announced Wednesday.

“Playing in the NBA has always been a dream of mine, but I want to make sure that I’m NBA-ready before I make that jump,” Poythress said. “By coming back, I’ll be so much closer to earning my degree in business and it will give me another year to prepare my game and my body for the next level.”

The 6-foot-7 forward averaged 5.9 points and 4.5 rebounds in helping lead the Wildcats to the NCAA title game. He shot better than 68 percent from the field in the NCAA Tournament, including an eight-point, seven-rebound performance in the Final Four against Wisconsin.

“I’m excited for Alex and the decision he’s arrived at,” head coach John Calipari said. “I’m proud of the work he committed to this past season, on and off the floor, and think he’s ready to take that next step and lead this team next season.”

The Clarksville, Tenn., native tallied a double-double (10 points, 13 rebounds) in UK’s season-opener against UNC Asheville and pulled down 12 rebounds two games later against second-ranked Michigan State.

Fellow sophomore Willie Cauley-Stein and freshman Marcus Lee announced their intentions to return for the 2014-15 season last week.

 


Brought to you by Web Hosting

.

Apr 23

Where is Your Favorite Old Kentucky Home?

Where is Your Favorite Old Kentucky Home?

The Kentucky Heritage Council/State Historic Preservation Office has launched the statewide, month-long “This is MY Old Kentucky Home” Facebook Photo Contest to take place from April 23 through Friday, May 23.

Kentuckians are invited to take part in the program to highlight historic sites in the state where they feel at home, as part of National Historic Preservation Month.

Officials said Kentucky Main Street Program communities, nonprofit organizations, historic sites and individuals will be taking part in the launch, with group photos planned all across the Commonwealth.

Contest participants are invited to post photos and vote for their favorites through May. The contest winner will receive an all-expense paid weekend in Bardstown, site of Federal Hill, the house that inspired Stephen Foster to write “My Old Kentucky Home.”

Participants download the contest sign found here, or make their own; hold it in front of their favorite Old Kentucky Home; get a snapshot; then “like” the Heritage Council’s Facebook page and submit it to win – the only rule being, the site must be 50-years-old or older.

The Heritage Council wants to know where the photo was taken, and why the place is special. The top five photos with the most “likes” will go into a random drawing to determine the winner, which will be announced during the last week of May.

WHERE:
•Street shot from Main Street, Paris (Craig Potts, KHC executive director and state historic preservation officer, and other KHC staff will participate), hosted by Paris Main Street
•Belle of Louisville wharf, Louisville, including a class from Bourbon Central Elementary School
•Hunt-Morgan House, Lexington, hosted by the Blue Grass Trust for Historic Preservation
•Marshall County Courthouse, Benton, hosted by Benton Main Street
•Historic Post Office at Constitution Square, Danville, hosted by Heart of Danville
•Fort Thomas Stables and Midway Historic District, Fort Thomas, hosted by Fort Thomas Renaissance
•Centre Square, Lebanon (formerly Lebanon middle and high school), hosted by Lebanon Main Street
•Elks Home, 2024 Cumberland Ave., Middlesboro, hosted by Discover Downtown Middlesboro
•Rowan County Arts Center, 215 E. Main St., Morehead, hosted by Downtown Morehead Inc.
•Calloway County Court House, Murray, hosted by Murray Main Street
•Perryville Elementary School, hosted by Perryville Main Street
•York House, Main Street, Pikeville, hosted by Pikeville Main Street
•Historic 1816 Washington County Court House, Springfield, hosted by Springfield Main Street
•Federal Hill at My Old Kentucky Home State Park, Bardstown, hosted by the park and the Bardstown-Nelson County Tourist and Convention Commission
•And more!

 

 

 


Brought to you by Web Hosting

.

Apr 23

Court Won’t Overturn Death Sentence For Ky. Man

Court Won't Overturn Death Sentence For Ky. Man

WASHINGTON (AP) – The Supreme Court says there will be no new sentencing hearing for a man who confessed to kidnapping, raping and killing a 16-year-old girl in Kentucky.

The justices in a 6-3 ruling Wednesday refused to overturn Robert Keith Woodall’s death sentence for abducting and killing Sarah Hansen on Jan. 25, 1997, after forcing her from a convenience store in western Kentucky.

A federal court ruled that the judge at Woodall’s state trial should have instructed the jury not to draw any negative conclusions about his refusal to take the stand at his 1998 capital sentencing hearing. The 6th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals upheld that ruling.

But the high court reversed, finding that trial judge was under no obligation to instruct the jury about drawing adverse conclusions.

(Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.)

 


Brought to you by Web Hosting

.

Apr 23

Crews Search Barren River For Missing Woman

Crews Search Barren River For Missing Woman

RICHARDSVILLE, Ky. (AP) – Emergency crews in southern Kentucky are searching for a woman in Barren River after the boat she was in capsized as it topped the Greencastle Dam.

The Daily News reports a man in the boat was able to swim to shore on Monday, but the woman was reported missing.

Warren County Rescue Department spokeswoman Deborah Williams said crews were conducting ground and water searches and using sonar to try to find the woman.

Chief Andy Tucker says rescue personnel are taking extra precautions because the low-head dam creates dangerous conditions.

___

Information from Daily News

(Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.)

 


Brought to you by Web Hosting

.

Apr 23

Hundreds Of Quilts On Display In Paducah

Hundreds Of Quilts On Display In Paducah

PADUCAH, Ky. (AP) – Thousands of people are expected to visit Paducah this week for the American Quilter’s Society’s QuiltWeek.

The festivities begin Wednesday and run through Saturday. More than 30,000 people are expected for the display, which will include more than 650 quilts in three locations, as well as a quilter’s merchant mall.

The American Quilter’s Society is also celebrating its 30th anniversary with a display of three decades of best in show quilts at the National Quilt Museum.

For more information, click here or call (270) 898-7903.

(Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.)

 


Brought to you by Web Hosting

.

Apr 23

Fire Breaks Out At Wood Barrel Company In Laurel County

Fire Breaks Out At Wood Barrel Company In Laurel County

The state fire marshal is now investigating a fire that broke out in one of the buildings of a wood barrel company in Laurel County Wednesday morning. 

Officials say the fire broke out at about 4:30 a.m. at Robinson Stave Company.

Justin Noe with Emergency Management says no one was inside when the fire happened. Noe says there was machinery and some barrels inside. He says the building received some damaged, but couldn’t say if it was a total loss.

Crews were on scene until about 8:30 a.m. The state fire marshal is now investigating the area.

Officials say three additional fire departments were called in to help with the fire.

Robinson Stave Company makes wood barrels from scratch and employs about 50 people.

 


Brought to you by Web Hosting

.

Apr 23

SKorea Ferry Toll Hits 156 As Search Gets Tougher

SKorea Ferry Toll Hits 156 As Search Gets Tougher

JINDO, South Korea (AP) – As the 156th body was pulled from waters where the ferry Sewol sank a week ago, relatives of the nearly 150 still missing pressed the government Wednesday to finish the grim task of recovery soon. But the work was reaching a new, more complicated phase, with an official saying divers must now rip through cabin walls to retrieve more victims.

Looming in the background is a sensitive issue: When to bring in the cranes and begin the salvage effort by cutting up and raising the submerged vessel. The government has warned that the work might eliminate air pockets that could be sustaining survivors, but for some relatives that is a long-lost hope.

“Now we think we have to deal with this realistically,” said Pyun Yong-gi, whose 17-year-old daughter is among the missing.

“We don’t want the bodies to decay further, so we want them to pull out the bodies as quickly as they can,” Pyun said on Jindo island, where recovered bodies are taken for families to identify.

That view is not shared among all relatives of the missing, however. One of them, Jang Jong-ryul, was sensitive about the mere mention of the word “salvage” and said most families don’t want to think about it.

The number of corpses recovered has risen sharply since the weekend, when divers battling strong currents and low visibility were finally able to enter the submerged vessel. But Koh Myung-seok, spokesman for the government-wide emergency task force, said the work is becoming more difficult, and divers must now break through cabin walls.

“The lounge is one big open space, so once in it we got our search done straight away. But in the case of the cabins, we will have to break down the walls in between because they are all compartments,” Koh said.

The government has not said when it intends to begin the salvage effort, though it has said it will be considerate of families of the missing.

“Even if there is only one survivor,” Koh said, “our government will do its best to rescue that person, and then we will salvage the ferry.”

For some relatives of the missing, speed in recovering the dead is becoming more important than shrinking hopes that their loved ones might still be alive.

“I’ve seen the bodies and they are starting to smell. It inflicts a new wound for the parents to see the bodies decomposed,” Pyun said.

He and other relatives have set a deadline of Thursday for the government to recover all the bodies, though he concedes they have no way to enforce it. “We are not the ones who are actually doing it, so we know that there is nothing we can do,” Pyun said.

The victims of the April 16 disaster are overwhelmingly students of a single high school in Ansan, near Seoul. More than three-quarters of the 323 students are dead or missing, while nearly two-thirds of the other 153 people on board survived.

The funeral halls in Ansan are already full, Oh Sang-yoon of the task force center said in a statement. He said the center “is taking measures to accommodate additional bodies by placing mortuary refrigerators at the funeral halls in Ansan,” and directing mourning families to funeral homes in nearby cities.

Twenty-two of the 29 members of the ferry’s crew survived, and 11, including Capt. Lee Joon-seok, have been arrested or detained in connection with the investigation. Two of the crew were arrested Wednesday, senior prosecutor Ahn Sang-don said.

Ahn said an analysis of photos and video on the ship before its sinking showed the captain and other arrested crew members didn’t rescue passengers, though it was their duty. Ahn said the crew members were at the ship’s steering room or engine room together before fleeing the Sewol earlier than passengers.

The captain initially told passengers to stay in their cabins, and waited about half an hour to issue an evacuation order. He has said he waited because the current was strong, the water was cold and passengers could have drifted away before help arrived. But maritime experts said he could have ordered passengers to the deck – where they would have had a greater chance of survival – without telling them to abandon ship.

It was not the crew but a passenger who first alerted authorities that the boat was in distress, the coast guard confirmed Wednesday.

An emergency call was made 8:52 a.m. last Wednesday to the Jeonnam 119 fire department, which transferred the call to the Mokpo coast guard office, the coast guard said in an emailed statement. The ferry made its first distress call three minutes later.

Yonhap news agency reported that the caller was a student from Ansan, and remains missing.

The cause of the disaster is not yet known. Ahn said investigators are considering factors including wind, ocean currents, freight, modifications made to the ship and the fact that it turned just before it began listing.

Tracking data show that the ship made a 45-degree turn, and that it turned about 180 degrees in the course of about three minutes around the time the vessel began to list.

A maritime professor who spoke with the Sewol’s third mate, who is among those arrested and was steering the ferry before it sank, said he suspects a problem with the steering gear caused the sinking.

Professor Kim Woo-Sook of Mokpo National Maritime University said he spoke to Park Han-gyeol, a former student, a Mokpo detention facility. He says she told him she ordered a helmsman to make just a 5-degree turn, but the steering gear turned too far and the helmsman could not turn it back.

Kim said the steering gear would not have been enough alone to capsize the ship, but he suspects it caused poorly secured freight to shift, making the vessel unbalanced. He said he told her he believes she didn’t make any mistakes in steering the ship, but that was wrong to have followed the captain in escaping the ship without protecting the passengers.

Senior prosecutor Yang Jung-jin said government investigators have not confirmed problems in the steering gear of the Sewol.

___

(Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.)

 


Brought to you by Web Hosting

.

Apr 23

Clemency After 10 Years In Prison?

Clemency After 10 Years In Prison?

WASHINGTON (AP) – The Justice Department will begin considering clemency applications from nonviolent federal inmates who have behaved in prison, have no significant criminal history and have already served more than 10 years behind bars, according to a person familiar with the matter.

The initiative is part of a broader Obama administration effort to trim the nation’s prison population and ease sentencing disparities arising from drug possession crimes. The goal of the new criteria, which were to be detailed Wednesday, is to create a broader pool of eligible prisoners the Justice Department can recommend to the president to consider for shorter sentences.

The department Wednesday was to lay out a half-dozen criteria that it will consider in evaluating future clemency applications from inmates, said the person, who spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity because a formal announcement had not yet been made. Deputy Attorney General James Cole was expected to discuss the clemency changes at a news conference.

The announcement is aimed primarily at drug prisoners, especially those sentenced under old guidelines that resulted in significantly harsher penalties for people caught with crack cocaine than for those who possessed the powder form of the drug. But it also applies to federal inmates imprisoned for other crimes, provided they meet the same criteria for clemency.

To be eligible for consideration, inmates must be deemed nonviolent, low-level offenders with no gang ties, and must have spent at least 10 years behind bars and received a harsher punishment at the time of sentencing than they would have gotten for the same crime today, according to the person.

The person said the Justice Department has identified more than 23,000 people who are serving sentences of at least 10 years. But it was not clear how many of those people would be viable clemency candidates.

The Obama administration says it’s working to correct the legacy of an old sentencing structure that, historically, subjected black convicts to long prison terms for crack cocaine convictions while giving far more lenient sentences to those caught with powder, who were more likely to be white. The Fair Sentencing Act reduced that disparity and eliminated a five-year mandatory minimum for first-time possession of crack, and officials are now turning their attention to identifying inmates who received sentences under the old guidelines that now appear unduly harsh.

President Barack Obama, who granted only one commutation in his first term, cut short in December the sentences of eight prisoners he said had been locked up too long for drug crimes. The White House has said it’s seeking additional good candidates to consider for clemency, though spokesman Jay Carney said Monday that the number of commutations “will depend entirely on the number of worthy candidates.”

(Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

 

 


Brought to you by Web Hosting

.

Older posts «